Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Go Us!


Friday, July 07 2017


So, every once in a while surfing aimlessly around the net I will be lucky enough to come across something really cool.  That was the case with a group called Steam Powered Giraffe.  This band has an interesting shtick.  They paint themselves up as steampunk robots when they play.  Well, I would imagine they actually do the make-up before they actually play.  Although, that would be impressive if they did both at the same time...  Anyway as you might guess, at least some of them, have backgrounds in mime.  Sure, I could look up exactly how many of them have this background but I have always wanted to be a reporter, well, columnist anyway, and if the fourth estate doesn't really worry about research and accuracy any more then I don't have to either!  So there!  100, 300 of the 11 current and former member have backgrounds in mime,  Watching these folks makes me question the wisdom of the near universal hatred of mimes.  Up is down, left is right, all is lost!!!

...That's it.  That's the post.  Hope you enjoyed it.

Yeah, I didn't believe I could be that short winded either.  The point of this post (shut your head, there is to a point to my inane ramblings sometimes) has to do with two of the members, David Michael Bennett and Isabella "Bunny" Bennett.  So as I often do when something takes my interest, I looked for more information on the group.  I clicked on the link for Bunny and the first thing I noticed was that her birth name was "Christopher".  It is interesting that the first thing that popped into my head was: "Wow, I bet she had a hard time in high school!".  As you have probably guessed Bunny was born a male and transitioned to female.  Given my experiences in high-school, I would imagine that she did have a rough go of it, just for different reason than being a girl with a "boy's name".  Although, if you want to get technical, I guess she actually was a girl with a "boy's name".
Now I am a firm believer in the idea that the brain can have a gender that does not match the body one was born into.  The thing that I found interesting was that not one did the Wikipedia entry refer to her as "he".  The only mention that was made of her body being born male was in the "Personal Life" part of the entry.  I thought that this was great, especially when you considering that just a few years ago she would most likely be referred to as "he".  It is things like this that gives me hope for our species.  Then, of course, we turn around and do something profoundly stupid and toss that hope away.  Who knows, maybe one day we might notice that pattern.

No comments: